Saturday, November 27, 2010

Josh Hamilton's Journey Reaches New Pinnacle, but He's Far From Finished

Filed under: ,

If you had predicted a decade ago that Josh Hamilton would be named the American League's Most Valuable Player in 2010, most people in baseball probably wouldn't have had much reason to dispute that contention.

The talent was obvious back then, the potential evident to the trained and untrained eye alike. A year and a half removed from Tampa Bay picking him first overall in the draft, Hamilton at this time in 2000 was about to be tabbed the top prospect in the game by Baseball America heading into the 2001 season.

With accolades like that, it wouldn't have come as a shock to anyone that Hamilton would be leading his team to a World Series as one of the best players in the game before his 30th birthday rolled around. It's the path Hamilton took to get to being named AL MVP on Tuesday that no one would have believed.

"I would say a 99 percent chance that this would never happen -- honestly," Hamilton said Tuesday when asked about his unlikely route to the top. "I think a lot of people would agree with that. But it was 100 percent chance this would never have happened if I'd tried to do it on my own. I think that's the most important thing I want to get across, is that I couldn't do it on my own."

 

Permalink | Email this | Linking Blogs | Comments

Source: http://mlb.fanhouse.com/2010/11/23/josh-hamiltons-journey-reaches-new-pinnacle-but-hes-far-from/

Monica Bellucci Monica Keena Monica Potter

No comments:

Post a Comment